Quick Revision- Ancient History : Introduction
On the basis of the scientific study, geologists fix age of the earth as 4,600 million years. The fossils of the earliest humans found in Africa were about 4.2 million years old. The earliest human beings were shorter in height and had a smaller brain. About 42-lakhs years ago, Human being evolves and the present form reached about 50,000 years ago. The fossils found in Africa, China, Java, Sumatra, and southern Europe portray the various stages and periods of human development. In India, the only hominid fossil found from ‘Hathnaura’ in the Narmada Valley.
- The stage of human development started at the time when people begin the use of tools for their aid. It was the time that laid the foundation of science and the uses of machines.
- About 2.6 million years ago, human beings started the regular use of tools in east Africa.
- In Indonesia, several hominid fossils have recently been dated between 1.8 and 1.6 million years.
- In China, the early stone tools are associated with human fossils dated between 1.7 and 1.9 million years.
- In India, no human fossils have been found associated with Stone Age tools.
- The various strata of the Sivalik hills containing stone tools have been dated between 2 to 1.2 million years.
- The archaeological site of Bori in Pune district of Maharashtra is about 1.38 million years old. It gives the scientific record for the early stone tools in India.
The early human settlement in India is contemporary to the Asian countries, but it is of the later period than that in the African region.
Next in the Series: Paleolithic Age ↓
The earliest phase of human life in India is known as the Paleolithic age. It was the period of the emergence of primitive man and the manufacturing of splinter stone tools. These tools served...